Monday, April 15, 2013

Meanwhile, In Boston

Apparently, there was a terrorist attack on the Boston Marathon today. Estimates put the wounded somewhere between 50 and 150, and there are two confirmed dead. And much as I would love to tell you there's some social issue here that needs addressing, tell you that I've got some ranty little opinion that will tease out a laugh...

I've got nothing. The only people at fault are terrorists, and it's not as though we're being stupid on the terrorism front. There's safeguards, there's limitations on freedom that may or may not be reasonable, there's intelligence networks scrambling to stay on top of things.

So...there's no one to yell at, particularly. Not even the terrorists, because we're still not sure who they are, or what they stand for. Hell, this could be a street gang in it for the kicks, however unlikely that might be.

What can I write here?

Well...I've seen a lot of posts today quoting notable people, saying comforting things. I've seen pretty pictures and ugly pictures, and pictures of smoke rising over crowds of panicked people running to and from the blast.

I've read half a dozen stories, seen footage, and read a couple of other blogs.

All I can really say here is that I offer my condolences to those who lost someone. I offer my sympathies and hopes for a speedy recovery to the injured and the families of the injured.

I offer thanks to the first responders in Boston, for doing the best they can in a horrible situation.

I urge you all to keep a level head, keep the prayers coming if you pray, donate blood or money through reputable organizations if you can.

And for the love of all that's holy don't vote hastily on anything that comes out of this. While I hope this will be handled with decency and efficiency, the last time there was a major terrorist attack, we became embroiled in an decade long war. So keep your eyes and ears open, ok?

I'll leave y'all with a rare invocation on my part, then:

Lords and ladies above and below, Deity in all facets and faces,
Grant strength and aid to those in suffering, and to those who aid them
And have mercy on our race, that we may outgrow our failings.

Ranting will resume Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment